Friday, November 21, 2008

Bring out the Big Coats.

This past week has marked a sad and depressing time for me.. 
a time that hits every year. This year I felt it more than usual, though. The trees here in North Alabama are usually dull in comparison to Vermont foliage, but this year I was struck by how beautiful they all were. 
It was as if my backyard was aflame in striking yellows and burnt oranges. We have a few sugar maples and one in particular is always a beautiful bright yellow behind our koi pond.  My husband Jacob took the time this summer to cut down trees around the maples so they would have more space. "More breathing room" he would say. 






But then it happened. After the leaves fell and the rain ended, I noticed those all-too-familiar spots that I would see in the woods behind my house. They were dull grey spots that I saw last year, IN WINTER. I couldn't see them before, but yes, now ... I could. They are depressing. 
Usually, the trees are so full that I can't see the ridge behind my house. I live on the edge of a State Park that extends to the Cypress Creek and back behind the University of North Alabama.  There is a dry creek bed that you can almost see when all the trees have lost their leaves and you can see the fall and rise of the earth on either side. 
I am getting ready for the winter. We have some firewood, brightly colored walls, and sweaters. :) It's not like we are going to be stuck inside all winter like we were in Vermont, but still.. I really really REALLY like being outside, preferably in the warm breeze.
I keep telling myself that the good thing about winter is NO TICKS. I could literally go outside and roll around in the leaves and not get a tick on me. 
Last summer, you could walk ,.... no.. RUN to your car, jump in, and still find a tick on you. 
So, I am embracing the coming winter with my big ten dollar coat I got on sale at Old Navy.
Bring it, Winter!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is so cold here! I hate it. And I am dredding the snow. I hate driving in the snow....

It is a depressing thought for me for sure!